reflections of the journey...

November 07, 2005

baptism and breakthroughs

November 5th 2005 will forever be remembered as the beginning of something incredible.

As I wrote in my last entry, it was on this day that I was baptised. That in itself was huge for me. A step I once never thought I would take, but one which humbles me no end today. It is through the grace of God alone that I share with you now, for He is my champion warrior in the battle that is life. My rescuer, my hero.

In the afternoon of my baptism as I was reflecting with one of my sisters that was also baptised that day, I felt inspired to write a song. That for me is so out of character, so beyond me. I mean, I've always always loved music and I'm known by my family to sing almost non-stop, but write...?!! Never had I imagined I would.
But I'm the first to admit it's no Grammy-worthy piece by any means and I believe it was only meant to see the light of one day, which is fine with me ;-)
But what God was whispering to me within the song will most definately resonate in my heart for a long long time. For every day of the rest of my life and more than likely in my eternal life aswell.

Jesus helped me finally understand the true meaning of being freed by His blood. Cleansed completely by His holiness. Healed forever. It's something that I've heard for a while now and at times thought I understood, but in that moment it all felt real. I actually know it now, with my heart,no longer my head.
And that itself was incredible enough but I serve a mighty mighty King who wasn't about to stop there!!

As I shared another wonderfully deep, soul-sharing conversation with another of my sisters I felt so in touch with Jesus and so ready to do His will within my life. We spoke of our dreams, our most precious, closely guarded desires and hopes and it felt so lovely to be able to do that and know that it is all possible . And not just that, but it is also so minute compared to what God can do through us. Yes, my dreams are big. But my God is so much bigger than anything I will ever comprehend and He can do so much more than I could ever fathom on my own.

***************

I could reflect on that with you for hours and perhaps some day I may, but I really want to share some incredibly exciting news with you! There's a change happening here in my neighbourhood, my battle field. And it's all about the kids.

Now, it's well known by most that my passion, my calling is to make a difference in the lives of our youth and children. And all the praise, honour and glory be to God - He has prepared me thus far and continues to teach me to do that.

My Thursday afternoons before heading to TAFE are now spent in the presence of around 20 lost and searching kids between the ages of about 12-17. They join myself and about 10 other leaders that make up the Youth Team of Wingham.
We (just the leaders) originally started meeting on a Thursday to discuss ideas of running a Youth Group for unchurched kids of our town. All was going well, we were having our weekly meetings and making progress and as we went along, there was a huge buzz within everyone that told us we were coming up to a time of change, incredible change. A revolution within our own lost and dying land.
God was preparing His soldiers for something huge, something we have not known before but something that was to change the course of many lives.

The first breakthrough came when kids at the local High School were asking one of our leaders (Grant - the Christian Studies teacher/outreach youth minister) where he was going after school on a Thursday. As Grant shared with them his plans for the afternoon which also included a Bibe Study within the same meeting the kids asked if they were allowed to join us aswell.
How awesome is that!! Unchurched kids, knowing we were going to study the Bible asked if they could meet us at the Ministry Centre and join in on the discussions. Talk about breakthrough!

To see these kids so eager to know more about God and so willing to sacrafice their time to do so truly inspires me to examine my own walk with Christ and pursue a closer relationship with Him so that I can also know more, understand more and be a better leader to them.
Not only are they coming to the meetings but they've started coming to church!! Gosh, as I'm writing this it's actually sinking in... these kids are doing it all on their own. They want to be there, they want to hear about Jesus and know Him more! It's a huge thing for me to comprehend. I know that miracles can happen, but I didn't think I would see so many in my life time =D

The thing that gives me the most joy though and makes me believe in the future of these kids is the conversations I got to have with them after the service on Sunday night.
As I was sharing in small talk with a group of kids last night one of them opened up, seemingly out of nowhere and said "you know what's kind of sad though Belinda....this is the most fun I've had and I didn't even have to drink."
He went on to share that he often thought that he could only have a good time by getting drunk or stoned but he's realising how fun church can be. He shared that he wants to change and my gosh, I was so thrilled to hear that first hand. To see Jesus working His miracles in the life of another, right infront of my eyes is truly beautiful.
This young man said that he has always been a failure at school, the teachers constantly told him he was stupid, he wouldn't amount to anything, his results were always poor, he had never read a book.
"But you know what..." he said, "I've read this much of the Bible you guys gave us the other week" as he indicated with his thumb and forefinger.

It's awe-inspiring to see the changes occuring in these young lives and to know that this is only just the start.

I can't wait to serve along side these awesome warriors in the making and impact our neighbours, our town, our world =D

I pray that you too are inspired by the testimonies of Jesus reaching these kids and know that we serve a living, breathing God who can do anything!

In love,
Bella xx

1 Comments:

Blogger _monica_ said...

awwww *hugs*
So proud of you!
Now you have to tell me everything... :)

1:44 AM, November 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home