reflections of the journey...

May 21, 2006

a Peter Pan kind of day...

Been an interesting last few days.

Friday night saw me step riiight out of the comfort zone and infront of a microphone telling a group of high schoolers a bit of my story. It was a little strange to open myself up and be completely vulnerable to them but refreshing all the same. From the responses so far I think it's really going to be used to help us relate with each other on a new and deeper level.

Sitting here Friday afternoon typing out my story brought me to tears yet again. I seem to forget all to easily just how amazing my God is and how precious life is. So it was a timely reminder to use what time I do have and appreciate even the littlest of things.

Which is precisely what happened today. Charlie and I headed across the road into the paddock so he could take some photos. It's so cute. He's 10 years old and he now has his own flickr account. I love that he's got that creative side to him. His imagination is crazy. I often hear him playing in his room for hours making up the most intense stories with his lego men and warrior action figures. He's a good kid.

So anyway, while Charlie was off exploring and shooting every second thing he saw it gave me a chance to actually enjoy my surroundings in a new way. It's only the paddock across the road but today it was my playground. I love when I get so awestruck by nature that I feel like a child again. Everything seemed so magical and mysterious.
I lay in the long grass and just got lost in thought. And it felt sooo good to have that again. To hear only what my thoughts were, not being phased by the rest of the world around me. It was great. And when it seemed it couldn't get any better I spotted the tiniest of lady beetles right infront of my eyes and watched her dance along the tall wispy strands of grass as if it were her stage and the soft rustlings of the leaves underneath were her melody.
She was beautiful.
I enjoyed being a little girl in awe of her world if only for a moment.

Sometimes I wonder what I was like as a little girl. I don't remember myself. I remember certain aspects of my childhood but not the little things that now seem so amazing and precious. I don't remember being in awe of my world. Being amazed by the wonders around me. Flowers, stars, dandelions, butterflies, raindrops. Maybe that's why they fascinate me now. Maybe they always have and I just don't remember. Maybe. Maybe not.
Either way I like that I can get lost in wonder about them now. It's nice to be able to have that child-like wonder every now and then. Not take life too seriously. To literally stop and smell the roses and watch a caterpillar do his funny walk along a branch.

Maybe that's why I love kids so much. Their innocence and wonderment of the world. How everything has the potential to be magical and take them to another place far beyond what adults seem to comprehend. I love watching kids play. Their complete abandonment of what everyone else is doing...they just go all out and do their thing.
Haha. I know some of you who are reading this are doing your usual "man she's clucky again" =P but it's not even about that. It's so much more.
I'm just learning again. I think sometimes I'm catching up on things I missed out on as a little girl. Or being reminded of the lessons I once learnt but have since forgotten.

And it's good.

"Seek the wisdom of the ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child" - Ron Wild

He was on to something you know,

Bella xx

2 Comments:

Blogger Jezika_Rae said...

I bet you had to wear one of those kiddie leashes :P ;)

Love you toots
Jess xoxo :D

12:42 PM, May 22, 2006  
Blogger Bella said...

nah, I didn't actually. But my grandma used to tell me I'd hide in the clothes racks in shops and scare all the other kids that walked past. She even reckons I bit some of them! haha. As if.
Mind you this is coming from the grandma with whom I am the least favoured of all her grandkids so she'd say anything. lol

I remember seeing this old family video of us kids playing on my pops front verandah and mum was filming my cousin in particular at this one point, he was reciting a poemn or something, and there's me in the background dancing around and singing really loud and just being a total tool just so mum would film me. I watched that a few years ago with the extended family and couldn't believe what I saw. Everyone just laughed and said "ohhh yeah Bib, you were the loudest little girl, such an attention seeker!" A little odd cause for years I was sooo polar opposite to that.
Hmm. Funny how we change over time.

OH JESS!! Imagine the mischief us three could have got up to if we were childhood friends! Ohhh man. How awesome would it have been. haha.
We're not that old you know....anytime you feel like doing something crazy..*wink*

Love you too girly,
Bella xx

8:25 PM, May 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home