reflections of the journey...

May 17, 2005

the power of scent

Right now I'm sitting in the study, which is currently occupied by a freaky-ass smell. It's almost like something has died in here, and all that's left is the smell of decomposing flesh! It's most likely a lizard, since we seem to have so many of them coming into the house at any given moment.
Anyway, I became oblivious to the scent after sitting in here for quite some time, and it wasn't until I left the room for a bit and returned, that I noticed just how strong and revolting the smell actually is. But I really can't be bothered to search for the source of the stench right now, so I'll just continue to muse over the idea that scent has quite a bit of power over us......

Just the other week I returned home from a weekend away to find the place I call home, filled with an unfamiliar fragrance. It wasn't unpleasant, but it wasn't comforting either. It just wasn't what I remembered my home to smell like. The thing is though, when I'm here, I don't even notice that my house has it's own smell.

Anyway, it turns out that while I was away my parents were given a roll of carpet by a friend who no longer needed it, and they put it to good use, laying it in the new extension they've just added to the house. That's where the unfamiliar scent was coming from, and it's no wonder I noticed it as soon as I walked in the door...I was standing on it!!

It's pretty crazy to think that simple little things like the scent of a room can make such a difference to how I'm feeling. Ultimately, to me it can mean the difference between comfort or not.
Not only rooms, but people aswell.... one of my closest friends, has the signature scent of Vanilla. Jess absolutely adores that smell, and will fall in love with just about anything resembling the fragrance.
Unfortunately, I don't get to see Jessie as much as I would like to, as she's studying at a University 4 hours away, so I rarely get to be in the presence of such a gorgeous aroma.

But, as chance would have it, a co-worker of mine also fancies the scent of vanilla, so I get to sample this lush-ness more often now, and that can only be a good thing.
Pretty funny though, because now when I think of vanilla, or smell it on someone other than these two friends, I always think of them and smile. Vanilla reminds me of hugs, laughter, love and....kitchens!

Aromas have the power to instantly rekindle the memory that the person associates with the smell.

Gardenia's remind me of my mum, no matter where I am or whose garden they're growing in.

Lynx deodarants conjure up the image of my younger brother growing up so fast and pleading with mum that he desparately needs the new range of Lynx sprays!

Johnson & Johnson baby wash always brings a grin to my face....so many memories associated to that one precious scent.

Lavender oil is the scent of my pillow, my linen, my pyjamas, pretty much my entire room. It's so peaceful. I swear it's like floating on a soft fluffy cloud when I smell lavender.

Rain falling on a hot road is one the scents I enjoy most....nothing else like it, nothing come close. It's so unique and only lasts that short while which makes it so special.

I could go on for quite a while, but I think I'll finish with one of my favourite poems by one of the most beautiful boys our world was ever blessed with....Mattie Stepanek.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Angel Wings

This morning,
I smelled something very good.
Perhaps,
It was a rainbow.
Or maybe,
It was a dinasour smile.
Or even,
A seashell.
I am not sure
What I smelled.
And I am not sure
What rainbows
Or dinasour smiles
Or seashells
Smell like.
But I'm sure they smell wonderful.
Wonderful and special
Like the smell of
Angel-Wings.
But also,
I'm sure they smell
A little sad,
Because we can't really smell
A rainbow,
Or a dinasour smile,
Or a seashell,
Or especially,
We can't really smell
The wonderful smell
Of Angel-Wings.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[I'm pretty sure Mattie can smell those angel wings now, for he has returned home to His Heavenly Father]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home